There Used To Be Clocks Here

If It's Too Good To Be True . . .

With pointless introductions out of the way, it's time to get back to the task at hand: wallowing in the pity that is Syracuse athletics.

Not that this should come as a surprise, but yet another Syracuse product has spurned Orange head football coach Greg Robinson for what is perceived as greener pastures.

Just two days after announcing that he narrowed his list of potential suitors to five, Christian Brothers Academy gunslinger Mike Paulus has given an oral commitment to the University of North Carolina. As Post-Standard staff writer Donnie Webb notes in a blog entry excerpted below, Paulus' decision came down to either Southern California or UNC:

Paulus to North Carolina
CBA quarterback Mike Paulus announced today that he has made a verbal commitment to sign with the University of North Carolina. In an email, Mike says:

"I couldn't be more excited about the program and have the opportunity to help turn it around. It came down to USC and NC, and I really liked USC and the idea of backing up Mark Sanchez for 3 years so I could develop and then go play. At UNC I have a good chance of playing early, and also trust that the new offensive cooridinator Frank Cignetti will develop me to be the best quarterback I can be. Him being at Fresno State the past 2 years and having a top 10 ranked national offense is tremendous. It came down to being extremely comfortable with the coaches and the area. I think its a beautiful university and has tremendous upside to becoming a great team at a national level. I think I have a lot of developing to do and that I can be a great contributor and recruiter for the university.

"UNC recruited me the most and the hardest and showed me why I should take a visit. And when I did, I fell in love with it. I felt like USC and UNC both were home to me. I loved both and when it came down to it, my heart told me UNC."

And with that, Mike was off to his prom tonight.
Paulus, apparently, could not be reached for comment as to his horrible use of grammar.

Paulus' commitment to North Carolina serves as another example of the Orange's inability to recruit the greater Syracuse area. In the last few recruiting cycles, Syracuse has been unable to convince local products such as Mike Hart (Michigan), Kevin Collier (Pittsburgh), and McKenzie Mathews (Pittsburgh) to enroll on The Hill.

With this kind of karma suffocating the onset of the weekend, one can only guess what New York Giants general manager (and resident freaky-looking guy) Ernie Accorsi will do tomorrow to ruin my afternoon.

1/2: Frankenstein.
1/2: Inexplicably moves up in the draft to take a Syracuse product.
100%: Didn't sign John Elway.

3 Responses to “If It's Too Good To Be True . . .”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Of all the pictures of disappointed children I have put on this notebook, the picture of the young girl above may be my favorite.

    Thanks, Coach Robinson.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    And with the 25th pick in the 2006 draft, the New York Giants select... Cornerback out of Syracuse, Steve Gregory!!

    It goes back a few years, but SU also missed out on that WR from Liverpool who went to Michigan. I want to call him Marquise Walker, but that would be totally wrong.

    Is Mike Paulus retarded? Why would you play football at UNC? Does he know Mack Brown doesn't coach there anymore? Does he plan on being a basketball walk-on so he can play against his brother?  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Davey Train --

    Marquise Walker is his name. Playing 15 minutes from campus, Pasqualoni yet again dropped the ball. The real kicker of the whole Walker debacle is that Liverpool's colors are orange and blue.

    Now that's fun karma.

    As for Big Blue, I had a dream/nightmare that Accorsi selected Anthony Smith with the 25th pick. Could you imagine a Giants defensive backfield with Quentin Harris and Smith? I would have to rescind my non-season tickets.  

Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea