There Used To Be Clocks Here

Turns out the Price was not Wright

I won't apologize for the "lazy blogger" headline, because it gives me the opportunity to make you click here and take a listen. Or, for a good laugh, open this video in a new window/tab and have it play while you read this article. Go ahead, I'll wait. OK. Good? Let's get into this.
Former Syracuse turnover-machine and scholarship placeholder Josh Wright was arrested in Utica and charged with patronizing a prostitute third degree, and loitering for the purpose of engaging in prostitution. If convicted, the patronizing charge carries a maximum of a year in jail or three years probation. The arrest was the result of an undercover sting (sounds like how someone might contract herpes) conducted by the Utica Police Special Operations Unit June 14-15. Evidently the girl dressed up as a sexy cop for Halloween was actually a cop. Josh should probably have checked a calendar.
In typical Orange::44 Lawdog fashion, here's the basics of these charges. Falling under section 230.04 of the Penal Law, "A person is guilty of patronizing a prostitute in the third degree when he or she patronizes a prostitute." I learned in elementary school not to define a word by using the word, but evidently our esteemed State Legislature hadn't learned that. At any rate, I don't think I need to spell it out for you. It's a Class A Misdemeanor, which makes it a crime and carries the aforementioned jail/probation as possible sentences. The loitering charge is merely a violation, under section 240.37 of the Penal Law, when the person "remains or wanders about in a public place and repeatedly beckons to, or repeatedly stops, or repeatedly attempts to stop, or repeatedly attempts to engage passers-by in conversation, or repeatedly stops or attempts to stop motor vehicles, or repeatedly interferes with the free passage of other persons, for the purpose of prostitution, or of patronizing a prostitute." You get the idea. Max sentence is 15 days in jail and/or a $250 fine.
I don't think we much cared for Josh Wright's time at Syracuse (save a few games) and were almost relieved when he transferred his senior year. He's had his run-ins with the law, and this is just another in the series. Maybe we'll do a follow-up story here, maybe we won't. Josh Wright doesn't run this blog. But we're not surprised to see that he's still running the mean streets of Utica, NY and finding trouble. Just seems about right. Wright?
Really, the biggest thing to me that seems troubling is that Utica has a prostitution problem. I guess it makes sense, but I never really thought about it. The thought didn't cross my mind when my sister told me a few weeks ago that she'll be attending Utica College for grad school this fall. I told her she needs to get a job working at the FX Matt Brewery -- and I'll intensify those calls now that I don't want her falling into the dark underbelly of an otherwise beautiful ci----- sorry, I couldn't even type that with a straight face! Utica downright is what it is. But yeah, prostitution rings, kinda scary. Way to go, Josh.
There are a few other loose ends that need to be tied up on this blog while we're in the summer sports lull. Check back to Orange::44 in the coming days for some new material.

Labels: , ,

0 Responses to “Turns out the Price was not Wright”

Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea