The winningest goalie keeps on winning.
The #1 seed Syracuse Orange took on the Siena Saints from nearby Albany. With a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals on the line Syracuse outlasted the Saints for the right to take on Maryland in Foxboro this coming weekend. Syracuse won 10-4 as the superior talent advances.
Syracuse took an early two point lead with big shots from Josh Amidon and Bobby Eilers. But Siena came right back and tied the game with good offense, faceoff wins, and a red hot goalie in Tom Morr. Syracuse then added two more goals before the end of the first half to go into the locker room 4-2 thanks mostly to Tommy Palasek scoring and then assisting to JoJo Marasco hitting a behind the back shot. Syracuse would then rattle off four more goals to take an 8-2 lead with ten minutes left in the fourth quarter. Siena would add two more goals, ending their 30-plus minute drought. But Syracuse would finish the game with two goals, sending them to the next round.
- JoJo Marasco led Syracuse in goals with three. Josh Amidon and Bobby Eilers each added two.
- Tommy Palasek had four assists in the game and added a goal to finish with five points.
- Joel White continues to be a ground ball machine. He led the team with five in the game.
- Jeremy Thompson didn't take the majority of faceoffs in this game. Good thing. He was 1-4. Ricky Buhr was 5-10. Chris Daddio was 3-3.
- John Galloway played all but one minute of the game. He had seven saves and four goals against in the win. Backup Matthew Lerman had one big save in the last minute of the game.
- Syracuse led massively in the shots category. They had 51 to Siena's 22.
- Syracuse had 34 ground balls and Siena had 15.
- Syracuse finally again led in faceoff wins. Syracuse was 9-17 overall. Siena had 8.
- Syracuse's ride worked well as Siena only cleared 17-23. Syracuse was 24-25.
- Siena failed to capitalize on the one SU penalty. Syracuse was 2-6 on EMOs.
- Siena had 19 saves thanks to Morr. Syracuse had 8 combined.
- Siena had 19 turnovers in the game, pretty close to their season average. Syracuse had 11.
- This was the first game in Division 1 lax that has used replay. The NCAA approved it for last year's tournament but it was only utilized this season in this game to correct the massive timing/scoreboard malfunction before the end of the first half going from about 2:45 remaining to :03.
- Syracuse has had pretty goals all season, but the Palasek to Marasco goal in the first half was just as pretty as any. A quick feed in the crease to a streaking Marasco for a behind the back goal. Awesome.
- The first half was slow, but anytime Syracuse goes on a six goal run the other team is probably losing the game.
- Big kudos to Morr from Siena who probably played the best possible tournament game against a top seeded team you could. Despite the loss, Siena is solid between the pipes next season.