There Used To Be Clocks Here

Nunes::44 - 6/5/09

Troy loves hilarious late night programs.

Sean from Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician and I had another one of our now famous chats. This week we talk about that lax ending, a little football, a little basketball, and your new television options at 11:30pm.
1. Orange::44: Be honest, was that not the best lacrosse you've ever witnessed? I know lacrosse isn't your favorite sport, but this has to make every Syracuse fan a lax fan now right?

Nunes: Sadly I didn't get to watch the game live but I did watch my fair share of clips, especially the ending, and it was indeed one of the most exciting finishes I've ever seen. It was the SU lacrosse fan's equivalent of the SU-UConn game this past season...just one amazing, heart-stopping moment after another. I especially loved that feeling heading into overtime where you just KNEW Syracuse was going to win. If it were a video game, the momentum bar would have been so far in their favor it would have tipped over.

I love watching a great lacrosse game and I'm bummed I didn't get to see it live. And its a real shame for anyone who's a Syracuse fan that can't get into lacrosse, cause you are missing out on the one opportunity you have...for what might be a long time...to celebrate something Syracuse is the very best at. There is no better lacrosse program in the nation. Not a discussion and not up for arguing. Five national titles in ten years. Drink it up, SU fans. Drink it up.

2. Orange::44: The staff at Inside Lacrosse has started calling the last 30 seconds of the National Championship the "Syracuse Scramble". Right on, or do you have another?

Nunes: I'll go with that. There's two kinds of acceptable ways to name famous plays or moments in sports. One is the iconic phrase that is a well-placed play on words or a generic describer that so completely embodies the moment that no one can possibly disagree about its value as the perfect description. Examples include The Immaculate Reception, The Hand of God goal, The Miracle on Ice and The Catch.

If a phrase doesn't present itself, then you have to include either the name of the winning team or work in something about the team, city, player or location to make it work. See The Music City Miracle, The Hail-Manning and, now, The Syracuse Scramble.

3. Orange::44: How do you see the Paulus QB situation playing out? Do you think he is going to contribute to the team, or will he ride the pine and get a free degree?

Nunes: Will Greg Paulus be our savior? Sorry to disappoint but no. So the sooner we accept that the sooner we can put him in perspective.

I do expect him to play. I won't be shocked if he beats out Nassib for the starting job and I won't be shocked if doesn't. But I will be surprised if he doesn't play at all. I don't think Doug Marrone is a pushover and he's under no obligation I can see to play Paulus. That said, I think there would be some level of "buyer's remorse" if we didn't at least give the guy a go.

Assuming he's NOT the starter against Minnesota, I think we'll still see him within the first couple games of the season. Especially if there's a blowout or two in there (Hi Penn State). From there, it's anybody's guess how this season unfolds at the QB spot and otherwise.

4. Orange::44: "Orange Pride" bit the dust recently. Do you like Marrone cleaning house or are there some things that he should think about keeping from that coach we don't mention?

Nunes: Should we keep anything from the Greg Robinson Era around? Absolutely not. What good came from that time in our lives? What positive method, motivational tool or experience could possibly be worth keeping around? I say take any last remnant, dump it in the middle of the Manley Parking Lot and burn it. Let God sneeze from all the smoke that rises his way.

(But yes, Greg was a really nice guy.)

5. Orange::44: It's a ways away, but what is the one thing you want to see next basketball season that you didn't this year?

Nunes: Other than the obvious (National Title), I'd love to see Syracuse dominate under the basket. I feel like it's been forever since we've been considered one of the more physical teams in the Big East. I'm looking at AO to step it up every single game because if he does he has the potential to be the dominant big man in the conference. All his biggest threats went pro. If he can improve and Rick Jackson improves, I think that's going to be the most satisfying part of SU's transition from the Flynn Era. And couple it with Wes Johnson's arrival and the Brandon Triche Experience and this team's got potential.

6. Orange::44: What was one yearly event held in Syracuse you always looked forward to?

Nunes:
Tough question considering I don't attend any of them, but I think the first home football game of the season is the most exciting time of the year for me. Just knowing that college football is back and this game that we've spent months getting excited about is finally here. Of course, recent versions of this have ended up being extremely depressing affairs but that doesn't stop me from having the highest of hopes come September the following year.

Given that this is the beginning of a new era and all of the hope that comes with it, I expect this season's home opener against Minnesota to be an emotional affair, either way it turns out.

7. Orange::44: Finally, Conan O'Brien started doing his version of the Tonight Show this week. You trying to get tix or what?

Nunes: You know, I love Conan and try my best to check in when I can but I'm not really much of a late night watcher. For one thing, I'm an old fogie and usually in bed by the time he's on, even now. And also, I usually have other things I'd rather watch, like TIVO'd shows or a movie.
The show's taped up in Burbank which is a little bit of a hike for me. That's north of LA and I live on the southern tip of LA. And if you know anything about the city, it's that traffic is a mothertrucker. I avoid it like the plague.

I've been to the Jimmy Kimmel Show a couple times and had the pleasure of hanging out in the green room. It's fantastic...free food, all the guests are hanging out with you. It's a little weird though because it's like a little party where everyone is looking at you to make sure you're not famous so they can stop looking at you and find someone who is. Actually, I think that basically sums up LA.
Editor’s Note: This is another installment in the ongoing collaboration between Orange::44 and Nunes/Magician. Usually every other Wednesday Nunes::44 will appear here, while the following week Orange::44/Magician will appear on his site. Until then, enjoy excellent Nunes/Magician articles as always and stay tuned to Orange::44 for complete postgame coverage from every Syracuse game.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Responses to “Nunes::44 - 6/5/09”

Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea