There Used To Be Clocks Here

The Orange-Out Paradigm

These kids have the right idea.
Let me start by saying I am ALL FOR an Orange-Out on February 14th versus Georgetown in the Carrier Dome. I give Nunes/Magician commenter “SUFAN4LIFE34” credit on getting the idea going here. I also give a lot of the credit to the SU Blogisphere for embracing this idea and the fine folks at orangeoutthedome.com for getting organized enough to put together a nice little website. I will be wearing my orange Syracuse jersey with an orange shirt underneath. Rest assured if the weather was warmer I would be wearing my orange sneakers. Hell, I probably will even wear my orange “gameday” boxers. I am for this and think it will be great and intimidating to the Hoyas and the Hoya faithful.

That being said, how sad is it that we need an Orange-Out to prompt fans to wear orange? The answer is pretty fucking sad. For the record Syracuse only has one official color, and that is orange. Navy, by definition, is the UNOFFICIAL accent color of the university. White is obviously necessary for home or away jerseys in every sport, but it is not even an unofficial color of the university. Certainly what should never, although frequently, be worn in the Carrier Dome includes but is not limited to; flannel, denim shirts, green, yellow, whatever the hell Scoop wears, pink, hula skirts, or any combination therein. I equate this kind of fan behavior to be just as bad as leaving before the end of a game. My overall point however, is that you should be wearing orange to every game anyway. We are the Syracuse Orange after all. Our mascot is an orange. You yell “Go Orange!” You chant “Let’s Go Orange!” How is this something that is not glaringly apparent to do at a Syracuse game?

Maybe I’m just a spoiled guy for having gone to Syracuse. I guess I just assume that every Syracuse fan has a minimum of 20% orange Syracuse items. However, is it that crazy to assume every fan has at least one orange shirt of some kind? Maybe a jersey. Maybe a pull over. Something. Anything. If this isn’t the case, then I’ll admit I’m wrong and will issue a small and brief apology, but from talking with fellow alumni in recent days, it seems that wearing orange should all but be a given to a home game.

I hope this does not seem like I am making this an “Alumni v. Fan” debate either, because I most certainly am not. The Syracuse community is a necessary and valid part of the fan base, and this team is something that the overall community feels pride and ownership over. That is great. The point is though, that you should come to the games properly attired.

I commend the idea and the organizers behind the fan mobilizing movement that is the Orange-Out. Anytime that the Syracuse fan base can come together in any manner is a positive for the school and the team. My point is, it shouldn’t take something like this for you to wear orange to a game and cheer for the team. It is the least you can do when those kids are out there doing their best for your entertainment and pleasure. Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think about the Orange-Out. I hope the Dome is chalk full of orange as Syracuse redeems itself over the often hated Georgetown Hoyas. As always… GO ORANGE!

Labels: , ,

11 Responses to “The Orange-Out Paradigm”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Since when was it a requirement that every fan had to wear orange, or they were subject to ridicule by the Syracuse blogosphere and various commenters?

    If somebody wants to wear a navy, white, or gray (or whatever color) shirt that says "Syracuse" on it, why the fuck should anybody care? Is a fan wearing a navy tshirt with orange writing somehow less of a fan than someone wearing an orange tshirt with navy writing?

    This is getting ridiculous.

    Get off your high horse, dude.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    do you mean paradox? how are you using paradigm?  

  3. # Blogger Cass A. Nova

    Ride that horse Brian because we are the Orange and should wear orange in support of the team, especially to games to show our support. It's like watching Celtic Pride when the guys always wear their jersey, it's about dedication and showing your love for the team. Go Orange-Out!  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Agreed. It really isn't unreasonable to throw on an orange shirt for the game if you have one. Your paying for the ticket, you obviously expect to have a good time at the game, why not do something that benefits everyone's fan experience? At the end of the day wearing orange isn't gonna make or break the teams on-court performance, but it can't hurt. Wear orange and show the country that we have a great, unified fan base. After all...we are the orange.

    Lets go Cuse  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I've been thinking the same thing but kept my mouth shut- me and my friends question the white and navy jerseys we see in the crowd at every game, including the football games. If your gonna spend 70 on a jersey wouldnt you buy the actual team color? If your wearing anything other than orange to a game you are simply doing it for one of 2 reasons:
    1- You are not a real fan and only go to the game for the social aspect, and therefore you dont wear the honestly ugly color of orange.
    2- You are completely stuck up and subconsciously or purposefully are trying to stick out. And not a real fan.

    My Dad bought me a white authentic bball jersey as a gift..I returned it for Orange.  

  6. # Blogger Brian Harrison

    par·a·digm (pār'ə-dīm', -dĭm') Pronunciation Key
    n.
    One that serves as a pattern or model.
    A set or list of all the inflectional forms of a word or of one of its grammatical categories: the paradigm of an irregular verb.
    A set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in an intellectual discipline.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Justin - Agreed that the orange basketball jersey is far superior to the white, but football too? You'd look down at someone in a white or navy jersey, even though those are the only colors the team wears?

    You'd rather someone bought one of the horrendous looking orange ones that the team will probably never wear again? Seriously?  

  8. # Blogger Brian Harrison

    I'm making these arguments purely in the basketball context. Although the new(est) orange football jerseys do look pretty good with the white numbers, because our standard football home jersey is blue I could find that very acceptable. I myself always wear an "away" white football jersey to the games, just because my navy 44 jersey is from the McNabb era.  

  9. # Blogger Nick Loucks

    Don't get the tone of this note wrong, but it's a little obtuse of you to call the local fans "a necessary and valid part of the fan base."

    They are THE reason why Syracuse sports are what they are.

    The Syracuse student body is great, don't think I'm saying they're not. But really, what is the HUGE difference between them and the student body in the I-Zone... or Wisconsin's Grateful Red... or the Pittsburgh Zoo... or the Cameron Crazies... or Florida's Swamp?

    Nothing. All amped up, loud and passionate fans who make tons of noise at home games.

    But the unique situation in Central New York (aging, loyal fan base, many of whom are lifelong residents, turning out in droves for the only "major" sports draw within a 3-hour drive) is what makes Syracuse's fan base unique... not its students.  

  10. # Blogger Brian Harrison

    Nick,
    I appreciate the comment. Believe me, I wasn't trying to underhandedly dis the locals. Like I said, I know they are necessary and they do a lot to add to the atmosphere in the Dome and beyond. Point well taken.  

  11. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I think the team should wear orange at home and navy on the road. After all we are the Syracuse Orange. Make the other team wear white. It could be our gimmick. There's no rules saying the home team must wear white (or light) colors, right?

    If not all the time then at least for this one game.  

Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea