There Used To Be Clocks Here

Nunes::44 - 3/11/07

Sometimes you fumble, and sometimes you're on the bubble.
It was Tuesday, which means that it is time for some more witty banter between myself and Sean at Nunes/Magician. It is a fun time to be a Syracuse fan, so of course I asked some interesting questions covering all of the big action that happened recently. Without further delay, here is your weekly dose of Nunes.
1. Orange::44: Syracuse played one of the best games of the season against Marquette. Do you see that success continuing in New York versus Villanova?

Nunes: You knew this would happen right? The second SU was in a position where they were almost dead in the water, didn't you just KNOW they'd beat Seton Hall and Marquette? God forbid they make it easy for us one of these years. I miss watching the Big East Tournament with no needs or expectations. Can we do that next year?

I do expect them to come out inspired against Villanova. I think the Marquette game really took this team to another level emotionally, you saw it after "The Kristof Play." I think they know exactly what they have to do and what it's going to take. Better late than never.

Paul Harris put up a career-high last time these two tangled, I expect big things from him again. And of course, I'm looking forward to seeing how Flynn and Greene handle the MSG spotlight. I have faith in the win. As for Thursday, well, we'll get to that when we get there.

2. Orange::44: Gun to your head, do they just need one more win to get in or do they need to pull a "Major League" and win the whole f'ing thing?

Nunes: They need two wins, and even then I won't be shocked if that's still not good enough. At least not as shocked as last year. We're getting screwed by all the mid-major conference tourney upsets and I think that may be our undoing. With each #1 seed losing, we drop down a place. Just look at the last two days, we went from "in" to "out" and we didn't even do anything. It's all because some 17-13 directional state school finally decided to play some ball.

All we can do is keep winning. As for how to do it, I'm just gonna say "Get in front of the damn ball...don't give me any of this ole bullcrap!"

3. Orange::44: The ladies exited Hartford earlier than expected. Does this mean anything for the big dance, or did they just have an off night?

Nunes: I think it's going to have an effect on their seed for sure. Whenever you have a team like SU (surprising 20+ win team with little experience and few "big" wins), I think the committee watches them closely for any sign that they aren't deserving of a good seed. I think the USF loss probably dropped them from a 6 seed to a 7 or even an 8. Hopefully a 7 so they don't have to stare down a 1-seed in the 2nd round.

The good news is that it's all good experience for the ladies. They'll be back next year just as good and no matter what happens they'll be better for it. Quentin's just getting started.

4. Orange::44: This lacrosse team seems to love the drama and the spectacle of overtime play. I know it is early, but how deep do you see this team going?

Nunes: It's a fun new role for SU lacrosse...being the Cardiac Kids. Clearly, they can hang with anyone in the country so really it's all about focus and not looking past anyone. They should have a lot of newfound confidence but if that means they're going to overlook teams like Binghamton cause they want a piece of Princeton, it's gonna get them into trouble.

The good news is that because of their schedule and because they are Syracuse, they have tons of leeway. Losses to the biggies won't hurt them in the long run all that much. So if they finish with four losses, maybe even five, they'll make the tournament.

Obviously, we'd love to see them back in the Final Four where they belong but I think if this team can at least make it to the 2nd round of the tourney, it'll will be considered a good year. Of course, if they keep improving, I don't see any reason they can't get back to the Final Four.

5. Orange::44:What is the one word that could describe the entire basketball season?

Nunes: "Kwyjibo" which is defined as "a big dumb North American ape with no chin and a short temper."

If that doesn't work for you, how bout "Challenging." Challenging for the players to find their way. Challenging for Boeheim to get through and get this team to gel. Challenging for the fans to figure out how to feel game to game.

6. Orange::44: It is a long way away, but are you actually excited for the upcoming Penn State game, or do you think it has just been too long for this game to mean anything special anymore?

Nunes: I think it's exciting but not specifically because of any memories or tradition that exists. I do think these two teams should be playing almost every year. The geography and the proximity of the fanbases demands it.

Besides, we kinda already have a little fuel to work with. In an interview not too long ago, Paterno questioned whether or not Syracuse was happy they scheduled this game considering the state of the program. Well Joe, you're assuming that your program is in such great shape, aren't you?

I know we're Syracuse and Greg Robinson is involved, but I'm not ruling out SU in this game at all. And I hope that if nothing else the first few match-ups are entertaining and heated. Ten years from now, we should all look back and question why we ever stopped playing each other.

7. Orange::44: Finally, one of my favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day, is coming up next week. I am very Irish and always enjoy celebrating. My question to you sir is this, are Shamrock Shakes the best part of the St. Patrick's Day season or is it something else?

Nunes: I was in Ralph's (the California version of Shoprite) the other day and I took a quick look at the bakery section. For a split second I thought one collection of bagels had gone horrible awry until I realized they were just dyed green. Green bagels. Is there anything more American than dying bagels to celebrate an Irish holiday? Until I see green-dyed steaks, the answer is yes.
I think you've hit it in the nose with the Shamrock Shakes. Of all the green edible items presented to me on that day, it's the most likely one I'll actually consume. Keep your green beer and green baked goods, but I'll thrown down a Shake with you for sure.
Orange::44: Anytime, my friend. Anytime.

Editor’s Note: This is another installment in the ongoing collaboration between Orange::44 and Nunes/Magician. Every other Tuesday Nunes::44 will appear here, while the following week Orange::44/Magician will appear on his site. Until then, enjoy Nunes/Magician articles and stay tuned to Orange::44 for complete postgame coverage from every Syracuse game.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Responses to “Nunes::44 - 3/11/07”

Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea