There Used To Be Clocks Here

BlogPoll Offseason Roundtable 2.4

"Knowledge crowns those who seek her."
Eds. Note: For those that are unaware, the BlogPoll Roundtable is a somewhat regular discussion of issues concerning college football. Those participating are members of MGoBlog's BlogPoll, a collection of college football bloggers spanning the nation, populized (albeit begrudingly) by mostly Big Ten and Georgia writers.

Orson Swindle and Stranko Montana, the dynamic duo of college football tomfoolery, moderate this edition of the BlogPoll Roundtable. As Stranko puts it so elegantly, this edition of the Roundtable:
. . . is designed to either refresh everyone’s recollection about our fellow participants or give us a greater insight into the deep dark psyche of each of us.
1. Education
List the region of the country you were born in, what universities you attended and at least one other you would have attended if your alma mater didn’t exist.

Oh, man. This question absolutely merits a quote from the Steve Martin classic The Jerk:

Huh? I am not a bum.

I'm a jerk.

I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and . . . uh . . . my thermos.

Huh? My story? Okay.

It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

Anyway, I was born and raised in southeastern Connecticut. There is not a lot to do in southeastern Connecticut except plot and plan to leave southeastern Connecticut when you graduate from high school.

Thus, upon receiving my diploma, I enrolled at Syracuse University in Syracuse, N.Y. I received a bachelor of arts in political science from Syracuse in May of 2002. Upon realization that a degree in that particular field of study is pretty much worthless, I enrolled at Quinnipiac University School of Law in Hamden, Connecticut. In May I received my juris doctor, cum laude, from Quinnipiac with honors in taxation. In the fall, I plan on enrolling at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. as an L.L.M in Taxation candidate.

If Syracuse did not exist, I probably would have attempted to enroll at a preppy New England liberal arts school like Wesleyan or Middlebury. I am not particularly sure why, but it just seems to fit my personality.

2. Sports Affiliations
List your top 10 favorite teams in all of sports in decending order. For instance, your alma mater’s football team may be number 1, but perhaps there is a professional team that squeezes in before you get to your alma mater’s lacrosse team.

10. Takeru Kobayashi - IFOCE Competitor
9. USA Curling
8. Quinnipiac University Men's Ice Hockey
7. Joe Gibbs Racing
6. Boston Bruins
5. New York Giants
4. Syracuse Men's Basketball
3. Boston Red Sox
2. Syracuse Men's Lacrosse
1. Syracuse Football

3. Movies
List the movie you’ve watched the most, your favorite sports related movie, the movie you secretly love but don’t like to admit it (possibly a chick flick or b film), and the movie you were (or still are) most looking forward to from this summer’s season.

Movie Watched the Most
I am not a real big movie guy, but I do believe the movie I have watched the most is probably The Natural starring Robert Redford. It is classic cinema.

My favorite movie, however, is probably A Few Good Men. Written by Syracuse graduate Aaron Sorkin, it is a masterpiece. Plus, Demi Moore is smoking hot.

Favorite Sports Related Movie
Hoosiers.

Movie I Secretly Love
I am obsessed with teen movies. In no particular order, I love: Ten Things I Hate About You, Can't Hardly Wait, She's All That, and, of course, The Breakfast Club.

Movie I'm Looking Forward To
Since I am a displaced redneck, I am dying to see Will Ferrell's new movie Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

4. Music
List your favorite band from middle school, high school, college and today. Also, as with the movies, include the song you secretly love but don’t like to admit. If Nickleback is involved in any of these responses, please give a detailed explanation as to why, god, why.

There is one band that fits all four categories: The Presidents of the United States of America. Reel Big Fish, while debuting when I was in high school, is a close second place. Also, Suburban Legends is a supremely underrated band.

A song I secretly love, eh? I guess that would have to be anything by Elton John.

5. Books
Favorite book you’ve finished, worst book you’ve finished and the book you really should read but haven’t gotten around to it.

Favorite Book Finished
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

And no, I am not a serial killer.

Worst Book Finished
Anything by Shakespeare. It is just not my cup of tea.

Book I Should Read
Anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald. As arguably America's finest novelist, Fitzgerald is required reading for every literate American.

6. Travel
Favorite city you’ve every been to and the one place you still must visit before you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Favorite City
Austin, Texas. That place is some sort of awesome. New York City is an obvious second place finisher.

Must Visit City
Vancouver, British Columbia.

7. Extraneous
What do you love most about college football in 20 words or less?

The fact that my favorite university sucks at it, and I still can't get enough.

8 Responses to “BlogPoll Offseason Roundtable 2.4”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Awesome answers - to me, especially.

    The Natural - hell yes. Just an awesome movie. Should have included it in my favorite sports movies.

    Your love for Austin is clearly appreciated here.

    Curling! Can't believe I missed that in my own answers.

    Anyway, great stuff. I'll be certain to link to your answers - the BON readers will enjoy.

    PB  

  2. # Blogger Hoya Suxa

    Peter,

    I don't know why most critics bash The Natural, but it clearly one of the most compelling movies ever made. Robert Duval's character is one of the best he's done is his career (with all due respect to the untouchable Tom Hagen in The Godfather).

    As for curling, how could you forget it! We're only four or five months past the US's incredible Olympic run! I think you should get a tatoo of Pete Fenson on your forehead as punishment.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You ever read a book that changed your life?

    Me neither.

    A. I've never seen The Natural and I don't really care.
    2. Varsity Blues is the best sports related movie ever... I give a ten! A ten!
    3. Are you forgetting Robert Duvall as the crew chief in Days of Thunder?  

  4. # Blogger Hoya Suxa

    Davey Train --

    You've never seen The Natural? Communist!

    The only redeeming part of Varsity Blues was when that chick from Outside Providence puts on the whipped cream bikini. Other than that, that movie is horseshit.

    As for Robert Duval, yes, I remember him in Days of Thunder. However, he had only one good scene in that movie -- when Tom Cruise wants to pit and Duval tells him he can't because he's eating ice cream.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I love the inclusion of Kobayashi on your list.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    You forgot one key thing Dave and/or Matt, Nascar isn't a sport.  

  7. # Blogger Hoya Suxa

    Rob --
    What! Not a sport!

    My world is crashing down around me.

    Nico --
    Gotta respect a guy that can eat more hot dogs in one 15 minute period than I can in the course of a month.  

  8. # Anonymous Anonymous
Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea