0 Comments Published on 1.20.2017 by John Brennan
|Create your own meme|
2017 got off to a rough start. Syracuse paid a visit to Chestnut Hill to open ACC play, and the Eagles destroyed them. So just under two weeks later, when BC visited Syracuse, it was all about payback, revenge, righting the ship. Had the Orange not been able to do so, it would probably be fair to just write off this season (if you haven't already done so). Thankfully, the Orange played well. Revenge was indeed in order. Syracuse walks away with a 76-53 win over Boston College.
- Tyus Battle had likely his best game of the season, scoring 21 on 7-13 shooting, 3-6 from three, a couple of assists, and three steals. He was consistently the offensive spark for the Orange, and also played intense defense -- something certainly lacking in the first game against BC.
- The Orange also got solid offensive efforts from Tyler Lydon (16 points), Andrew White (13), and Taurean Thompson (10).
- Tyler Roberson again had a solid game on both ends, six points and six rebounds. It wasn't a "light up the box score" game for Robie, but he is finally becoming that consistent player off the bench that intensifies the defense, is a threat on the boards, and can score when necessary. He'll always have that "I can't hit bunnies" problem, but at this point his benefits outweigh the negatives.
- But speaking of negatives, what is it with this team and its intense attraction to taking a step inside the arc -- or stepping back just inside the arc -- and taking a shot? It's a low percentage shot without the payoff of the extra point you get outside the arc. It's particularly frustrating when they take that shot early in the shot clock, or when you clearly see other scoring opportunities on the possession. This offense is getting better, and usually doesn't have a problem scoring, but things could be so much better and so much easier if they just stopped taking these shots. But, who am I?
- Ky Feldman had a bucket for the Orange. I'm just putting that in here for posterity.
- Syracuse continues to shoot well from the free throw line in conference play. In this game, they were 17-19 for 89.5%.
We're definitely back to Syracuse being able to play well at home -- which is great! Obviously, the schedule gets harder and the Orange will still need to win some on the road too. But still, this is somewhat encouraging. And BC is a much better team than last year, so beating them actually means something. So for now, just drink it in and be happy.