0 Comments Published on 2.04.2016 by Brian Harrison
And just like that, the game was tied.
I didn't think they'd do it. With 1:32 to go, Malachi Richardson hit a 3 to make it a 4 point game. Then Tyler Lydon dunked, making it a 2 point game. VTech added a free throw, but it was Michael Gbinije that hit the clutch shot above, deep for even an NBA 3. That tied the game with 26 seconds left. VTech was unable to score again and the game went to overtime. Syracuse would go on to get their first lead of the game and outscore VTech 12-4 in the OT. Syracuse wins a much needed game at home over Virginia Tech in overtime 68 to 60.
- There were three monster shots made late in the game. First, Gbinije above tying the game to send it to overtime. Then Trevor Cooney hit another deep 3 in overtime. Then, for good measure, Richardson added a big 3 basically to ice the game.
- Gbinije had a game high 17 points on 6-13, 2-6 shooting.
- Richardson and Lydon each had 13 points. Lydon also had 6 rebounds and for the 3rd game in a row Lydon drilled a 3 to end the first half for Syracuse. The last 2 games as time expired. Lydon was also a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line.
- Tyler Roberson added another double-double. He had 12 points, but more importantly he had 15 rebounds. An excellent night for him.
- DeJuan Coleman only had 3 points and 6 rebounds, but he played some great defense in the overtime once Tyler Lydon fouled out.
- Syracuse outrebounded VTech 44 to 37.
- Virginia Tech, of course, shot better than Syracuse in the game. 39.7% to 38.5%. But VTech and SU did flip flop what normally happens for Virginia Tech. SU shot 32 free throws and made 20. VTech only took 13 and made 7.
- This was the first game that Syracuse actually came back in, and then closed it out when they needed to. This was a game SU needed to win to stay on the right side of the NCAA bubble.
- Jim Boeheim is now 7-3 against Buzz Williams, winning all the games against Williams at the helm of VTech, and 4 in a row overall.