0 Comments Published on 1.13.2016 by Brian Harrison
Syracuse played 35 minutes of competitive basketball. The game was 40.
You could see it coming a mile away. With about 4 minutes left to play, the lead of UNC was growing. You knew SU couldn't come back. Especially since Syracuse couldn't get a stop either, let alone score. Trevor Cooney had his best game of the season, but it wasn't enough. Syracuse lost to UNC in Jim Boeheim's return 84 to 73.
- Obviously Trevor Cooney, who also had an excellent outing against UNC last year, does it again. He finished with 27 points on 10-21, 5-12 shooting. He also had 5 rebounds and no turnovers.
- Michael Gbinije was a ghost until the last 3 minutes when the game was out of hand already. He was 3-13 and 0-6 from distance. Easily his worst game of the season.
- Malachi Richardson continued his fairly hot hand, earning 16 points, and led the team with 5 assists.
- Both Tyler Roberson and DeJuan Coleman tied for the lead with 7 rebounds each. SU led UNC in rebounding 35 to 33. Coleman played more than he had in the last several games, staying on the floor for 27 minutes. SU needed a big body inside, and honestly he played pretty good defense. The forwards were the main defensive breakdown in the game.
- SU had 13 turnovers to UNC's 9. Not a great look, especially in crunch time and a bad one to end the first half to let UNC go into the locker room tied after SU got off to a hot start.