0 Comments Published on 12.30.2015 by Brian Harrison
Mike had everything going in the 2nd Half.
Syracuse struggled to get things going in the first half against Montana State. But Syracuse seemed to get things rolling fairly early in this one, and keep it going in the 2nd half. Another game where almost everyone looked good on the floor. A nice change from some of the slogs SU has had in the non-conference. This was the last gimmie, so let's see how SU wrapped up their latest non-conference slate. SU wins at home over Texas Southern 80 to 67.
- Michael Gbinije led the Orange in scoring with 15. Cooney and Coleman each added 14. Gbinije was 6-14 from the floor and 2-8 from behind the arc. He played all 40 minutes. He also led assists and turnovers for the team, with 4 and 3 respectively.
- Cooney went 5-10, 4-8 from the floor. He also had 3 steals in 36 minutes on the floor. While he finished 50% from behind the arc, he is still missing the wide open shots, which is incredibly troubling.
- Coleman and Tyler Lydon continue to impress as a solid 1-2 punch in the low post. Lydon can also hit jumpers from distance.
- Syracuse had a season low 5 turnovers in this game. And I believe that is a longtime low. Like, under 10 is a victory, 5 is incredible.
- Syracuse shot 46.8% (29-62) from the floor, but a poor 30.8% (8-26) from three.
- While Malachi Richardson wasn't great offensively (finished with 10, 4-10 and 1-5 from the floor), he finished 2nd best for the team in rebounding with six. Gbinije from the guard spot lead with 7.
- Syracuse had 30 of its 80 points in the paint. That is encouraging that this team is finding ways to score inside. Now, they need to keep doing that against ACC teams.