0 Comments Published on 2.10.2012 by Brian Harrison
Syracuse wins thanks to this guy.
It was close. It was tense, It was... a typical match between Syracuse and Georgetown. The game lived up to the billing. A grinding game that went to overtime, Syracuse managed a three point win to remain atop the Big East, and send the Hoyas packing. A flight to DC is not fun after a loss I'm sure.
This game was close the entire time. The Hoyas had the lead at the half 31 to 27. Syracuse started the second half on an 8-0 run though to take the lead. There were a few more lead changes before the Hoyas tied the game. Syracuse had the chance to win the game in regulation, but the Orange failed to score so it was overtime. Kris Joseph was the hero as he drilled a three pointer to take the lead with about 27 seconds left. The Hoyas were unable to score again. Syracuse wins in overtime over rival Georgetown 64 to 61.
- Kris Joseph lead all scorers with a career high of 29 points. After missing all threes attempted in the last three games, Joseph hit 6-11 from long range, including the go ahead score that won the game.
- CJ Fair again lead Syracuse in rebounding with nine. Fab Melo had seven.
- Scoop Jardine did distribute the ball well, earning eight assists. Sadly he had four turnovers, leading the team in that category. Truth be told he has never really played well ever against Georgetown except at Georgetown last season.
- Melo had six blocks in this game.
- Syracuse obviously was crushed in the rebounding category 48 to 30. Jim Boeheim was not pleased.
- Syracuse did lead in shooting from the floor with 34.9% and 33.3% (8-24) from three. Georgetown did lead in freethrows with 87.5% over 75%. Georgetown was 33.3% and 23.8% (5-21) from the floor respectively. Oddly, it felt like Georgetown hit a ton more threes than they actually hit.
- Georgetown had 16 assists, two more than Syracuse.
- Syracuse only had nine turnovers to Georgetown's 14. So there's that.
- Dion Waiters was only 1-6 from behind the arc. Triche was 1-4, but the one he hit was in transition pulling up from the top of the key. Looked like Gerry McNamara in 2004.
- Kris Joseph played all 45 minutes.
- Syracuse has not beaten Georgetown five out of the last seven meetings.
- Syracuse winning prevented Georgetown from winning two games in the Dome in a row since '86/87-'87-88.
- Syracuse is now 19-2 in overtime in the Carrier Dome under Jim Boeheim.
- Syracuse, if remaining in the Big East one more year, will definitely play Georgetown in DC next season, but it is possible that they will be playing home and home so there is a chance the Hoyas make it back to the Dome as a conference foe one more time.
- The game was officiated very loosely. As in a lot of contact was not called. Again, just another classic Georgetown/SU game.
- If this is the last time these two teams meet in the Dome as conference rivals this is a storybook way to end it. A win in overtime.