0 Comments Published on 2.08.2012 by Brian Harrison
We're glad you're back too Fab.
New season, same result. Syracuse has now beaten St. John's seven in a row and 13 out of 14. New York's College Team beat New York's Team. While St. John's can be tough in "their" building, Syracuse was just too much for the young Johnnies. The Orange roll in the city.
Syracuse started the game slowly, not scoring a field goal in the first four and a half minutes. The Red Storm had a five point lead, but that was short lived. While three point shooting was not spectacular for the Orange, they end up winning 41 to 27 at the half. After a couple more beers for myself and my friends, we were treated to a dunk fest in the second half. Syracuse just steamrolled St. John's in front of a mostly orange crowd. Syracuse was your winner 95 to 70.
- Fab Melo earned a career high 14 points. Dion Waiters and CJ Fair also had 14 points. Lots of scoring all around. Kris Joseph and Michael Carter-Williams each added 13 points each. That is Carter-Williams' career high as well.
- After being outrebounded for the past bunch of games (the last being probably the worst), rebounding was really outstanding in this game. It was led by Kris Joseph with eight and Rakeem Christmas pulled seven. SU had 38 total over St. John's 25.
- Despite having a bad scoring day, Brandon Triche did distribute the ball well earning five assists. Kris Joseph and Dion Waiters each had four. Syracuse as a team had a season high 23 assists.
- Fab went back to what he did well. He blocked two shots in the game.
- Syracuse didn't quite keep the turnovers under double digits, but ten isn't too bad. Although St. John's also only had ten. Scoop and Brandon had three each.
- Syracuse shot the ball well. Dunks are a high percentage shot. They went 55.7% from the floor. However, the threes weren't falling so easily. 33.3% (7-21). Could be far worse but still not great. Syracuse was also 10-14 (71.4%) from the free throw line.
- Respectively, St. John's was 40.4%, 46.7% (7-15), and 60.7%. While they did hit a good percentage of shots from behind the arc, most of those were later in the game, and hitting only seven isn't a game killer when you are up by 20 or more points.
- MSG was probably 80% Syracuse fans. Not too shabby.
- Brent Axe during the game tweeted that Fab is on record as being a flopper to get charge calls. He definitely wasn't flopping when he took a huge one in this game. A big time arm extension from St. John's to put him on the floor.
- Syracuse has won 13/14 games over St. John's and seven in a row.
- A lot of highlights in this game. What sticks out were obviously Carter-Williams' huge dunk and Waiters' spin move lay up. He also had a pretty great dunk.