There Used To Be Clocks Here

Nunes::44 - 5/13/08

Football is not lacrosse, but it is still magical.
It is Tuesday, and my exams are done. That means that it is time for another awesome installment of Nunes::44. Sean at Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician answers another batch of tough questions from yours truly. Today is lacrosse heavy, but it is that time of the year. There are also some football questions as well, so even if you hate lacrosse there is something for you here. But seriously, if you are a fan of Syracuse and not on the lacrosse bandwagon get a clue already. Add in a little gentle ribbing from Sean and you get a quality post.
1. Orange::44: Syracuse absolutely blasted Canisius in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Is it safe to assume that Syracuse Lacrosse is back?

Nunes: With a mother f***king vengeance! Look around at what happened this weekend. Duke won but in a non-impressive fashion. North Carolina got upset. Notre Dame should have gotten upset. Virginia escaped with a close win. Cornell got killed. Hopkins had an impressive win but no seeded team made a statement like Syracuse did this weekend.

Does this mean we're going to cut a swath through the NCAA Tournament the likes of which haven't been seen since Sherman's March to the Sea? Not just yet. Canisius got the auto-bid for the tournament but they didn't do much to prove they really belonged there over teams like Georgetown and Princeton. Syracuse likely got caught napping last week against Colgate and wanted to make a serious example out of a lesser opponent to re-establish themselves as one of the best teams in the country. And they did that.

Now they get the advantage of playing an hour away from Syracuse in Ithaca against a desperate and beatable Notre Dame squad. I have full confidence that it's back to the Final Four. Once there, anything can happen but I don't see any reason why they can't go all the way.

2. Orange::44: How far do you see Syracuse going this year?

Nunes: Didn't I just answer this!?! I think they'll definitely make it to the Final Four. Once there, assuming they're playing Virginia, it'll be a great rematch. The first one went to overtime so I would expect something similar. Beating the Cavs would complete the 2008 Vengeance tour and likely set up a showdown with mighty Duke. I'm remiss to say that they can handily beat the Blue Devils, that's a helluva squad over there. But the NCAA Tournament always has some surprises so I wouldn't be shocked if the Orange saved their best for last. I'm not going to guarantee a title but I feel confident that this team can get the finals...after that, let the chips fall where they may.

3. Orange::44: The women's lacrosse team is also doing well. Is this the year they get to the Final Four?

Nunes: Everything's looking good for them so far. They just obliterated Towson and Katie Rowan continued her record-breaking run through the season. North Carolina just did them a biggie and took down Virginia, one of the teams that beat SU during the season. That means they get to host the Tar Heels instead of traveling to Virginia...a huge bonus.

If they can win, they're probably looking at Northwestern in the Final Four and then all bets are off. A win would be a huge upset and an amazing one for the program, but realistically I think the journey might end there. And that's pretty damn good for Gary Gait's first season. But hey, you never know...

4. Orange::44: Football is still a while away, but are you getting excited about it already?

Nunes: Excited? Is that the right phrase for it?

Actually yeah, I'm like Jack Burton in the elevator on his way to fight Lo Pan. "I feel pretty good. I'm not... I'm not scared at all. I feel kind of... feel kind of invincible." It's a new season and its easy to start buying into the idea that Andrew Robinson is a year older, Mitch Browning is the second coming, and Mike Williams is going to be a TD machine.

Then I remember how I felt before last year's Washington game.

Then I remember how I felt after last year's Washington game.

Then I decide to just put my head down until September.

5. Orange::44: What is the one thing you are looking forward to this football season?

Nunes: Robinson-to-Williams. What will one day be considered the most prolific QB/WR combo in Syracuse history. Mark my words. I don't know how one marks words, but I suggest you do it. Williams' streak might not last the whole year but these guys are going to put up some gaudy numbers...even if it doesn't translate into W's.

6. Orange::44: Finally, is there anything you want to sound off on since we have been on hiatus the last two weeks?

Nunes: Ohhhh...Mr. Bigtime law student...had some tests to study for...couldn't ask some questions about women's lax...boo frickin' hoo. (Actually, my sis is graduating law school right now and judging by her mental state, I can only imagine how taxing it must be...kudos and bravo.)
Nothing really sticking in my craw at the moment, but then again it's only Monday. Give it a day or two and Greg Robinson will do something to anger me...
Editor’s Note: This is another installment in the ongoing collaboration between Orange::44 and Nunes/Magician. Every other Tuesday Nunes::44 will appear here, while the following week Orange::44/Magician will appear on his site. Until then, enjoy Nunes/Magician articles and stay tuned to Orange::44 for complete postgame coverage from every Syracuse game.

Labels: , , ,

0 Responses to “Nunes::44 - 5/13/08”

Post a Comment

Search

Text-Based Diarrehea