0 Comments Published on 1.27.2013 by John Brennan
|I knew you were trouble when you walked in.|
They say that breaking up is hard to do. Having been Big East foes since 1980, Syracuse and Villanova played their last regular season Big East game on Saturday in Philadelphia, and neither team wanted it to end. The Wildcats dominated the game in the first half and stayed tough through the second. Syracuse had another slow start; Nova scored the first ten points. The Orange had a hard time on offense all game and was forced to play DaJuan Coleman down the stretch because of Jerami Grant fouling out. It took an overtime period, but Villanova beat Syracuse 75-71.
- Brandon Triche had a great game for Syracuse, especially in the second half. He finished with 23 points on 7-18 shooting, 3-8 from three, four rebounds, and four assists. Brandon played 41 of the 45 minutes.
- Michael Carter-Williams played all but a minute in this contest, ending with 17 points on an abysmal 4-17 shooting effort, 1-4 from three, 8-14 from the line, and 5 turnovers. Blah.
- Before fouling out, Grant chipped in 12 points, five rebounds, and a couple steals. He once again stepped up in the absence of James Southerland, and was a clutch 5-5 from the charity stripe. The Orange really missed his presence on the court once he fouled out; he's quickly becoming an asset for this team.
- CJ Fair played the entire game and scored ten points and nine rebounds.
- Darrun Hilliard put in a great offensive performance for the Wildcats, but really top to bottom this Villanova team played Syracuse really hard and really fast.
- Hateable official Jim Burr did his best Taylor Swift impression by "lying on the cold hard ground" when he took a tumble in the first half. We all have our own theories.
- Most Syracuse fans know that this team traditionally does not do well at effectively burning clock at the end of games to hold onto a lead. Something inevitably goes wrong: a turnover, a missed shot with no rebound, etc. Just not the scoring you'd like to see. And so, we all collectively held our breath when Boeheim called for the clock burn. It didn't work out on Saturday.
- Villanova had 50 rebounds. 50.
I heard too much Taylor Swift this weekend.