0 Comments Published on 12.30.2012 by John Brennan
|Nobody knew what it was they were watching|
After the excitement of Syracuse's Pinstripe Bowl victory, Orange fans turned their attention to a little basketball game being played in the Carrier Dome. Supposedly nearly 20,000 actually attended this game, while many of us gathered in bars around NYC and asked bartenders to put SNY on the TVs. Big shoutout to Murphy's on 2nd Ave for their hospitality, food, and drinks. Anyway, it's a good thing this establishment had alcohol, because the basketball game between Syracuse and Alcorn State was awful. Syracuse played poorly but, thankfully, the Braves were worse. Syracuse wins 57-36.
- CJ Fair led the way for the Orange with a 13-point performance on 6-12 shooting. The only other double-digit scorer for Syracuse was Trevor Cooney, with 12.
- Cooney played 26 minutes, and actually provided the Orange with a spark in the second half, hitting a three for the first field goal of the half -- with 11:26 to go in the game!
- After a 32-point output by Syracuse in the first half, you would have thought scoring would not have been such an issue. But this team seems to be defying conventional wisdom lately.
- Syracuse shot a putrid 37.5% for the game, 20% from three, and 42.9% at the line.
- Syracuse won the rebounding battle 39-28, only committed 15 turnovers, and stole the ball 13 times.
- With the Braves committing 28 turnovers -- that's right, 28 -- Syracuse was able to capitalize and score 26 points off those turnovers. Being able to make something out of your opponent's mistakes is a valuable skill, and not only did that keep Syracuse in this game, but the Orange will need to do that in Big East play.
- Another good stat: Syracuse led in points in the paint 32-18. The Syracuse zone wasn't especially effective, but it certainly had the Braves stifled.
With the win, Syracuse improved to 11-1 on the season, and Jim Boeheim earned number 901. Monday afternoon he has an opportunity to tie Bobby Knight for number two on the all-time wins list. To earn the victory, the team might want to consider playing a consistent 40 minutes of basketball.