0 Comments Published on 2.28.2011 by Brian Harrison
Johnny Cal had front row seats to the destruction.
Syracuse earned a revenge victory on Monday at Villanova. The only thing left on the revenge checklist was heading down to DC and getting one back from the hated Hoyas of Georgetown. Well Syracuse did just that. They earned a 58 to 51 win in the Verizon Center.
Scoop Jardine has had some questionable games this season, but he played outstanding at Villanova and started the game in DC with a huge three to start the Syracuse scoring. Syracuse was in a major offensive rhythm in the first half, heading into halftime with a 33 to 23 lead. But Syracuse came out flat in the second half, as Georgetown was able to grab rebounds and put points on the board. Eventually Georgetown took a 45 to 43 lead with ten minutes to go. But then Georgetown went 1-12 in the final ten minutes of the game, including a couple turnovers from Nate Lubick, who I'm convinced shouldn't have a scholarship after watching this game. Georgetown missed from the outside and layups. Syracuse, despite not controlling rebounding as well, earned points on a few circus shots, made Triche free throws, and a little bit of luck. Syracuse finished with a victory to avenger their earlier loss.
- Jardine was again Syracuse's leading scorer with 17 points on 7-16, 3-9 shooting. He also added seven assists, four rebounds, and only had one turnover. He could have iced the game by making the front end of a 1-and-1, but he nailed an absolute dagger three late in the game and hit a ridiculous circus shot to keep Syracuse scoring. He was clearly the best player on the floor for Syracuse late in the game.
- Rick Jackson added 12 points going 5-7 on the day, along with seven rebounds. While he was not as successful on the boards, he had an excellent offensive day when he was given the ball.
- Brandon Triche continued his poor shooting, only going 1-7 from the field, but he finished with nine points hitting 6-6 from the free throw line, as well as getting absolutely mugged on several possessions with no fouls called. He should have gotten more points on those free throws.
- Kris Joseph had another bad game. He only earned four points on 2-7 shooting and 0-2 shooting from behind the arc. He did have three steals, but his offense has been lackluster this season in the Big East, and he has not gotten any better as the season has progressed.
- Baye Moussa Keita seemed non-existent on the floor in this game and his statistics prove it. Zero points and one rebounds.
- The return of Southie! James Southerland reappeared and went 4-8 from the floor, earning nine points in 21 minutes. He added three rebounds and two steals as well. A great day for him.
- Dion Waiters also bounced back, getting give points on 2-4, 1-3 shooting. He also earned two rebounds and two assists.
- CJ Fair was also non-existent on the floor, missing all two of his attempts from the floor. Just not the young freshman's day.
- Fab Melo actually saw seven minutes of action and earned two points. The dude just can't catch the ball while running though. He needs to get with it in the off season.
- G'town shot 45.3% from the floor in the Carrier Dome against Syracuse, but Syracuse limited Georgetown to 36% from the floor in this game, only making 18 field goals.
- Syracuse shot 40.7% from the floor and 30% from behind the arc. That's better than G'towns 36 and 28% respectively. However Syracuse shot only 61.5% from the free throw line and 66.7% for Georgetown.
- Bill Clinton, Syracuse's 2003 Commencement Speaker and G'town graduate was in attendance. Along with the Geico Caveman.
- Yeah, I got in. Along with tons of other Syracuse fans, who were the majority of fans in the upper tier 400s. Also some empty seats. Not quite the sell out Georgetown stated. "Let's Go Orange!" rang out in the closing moments.
- The boo birds were out in full force in line waiting to get in as I paraded past them from the Metro heading to Clyde's. Occasionally some threw stuff at us. Way to keep it classy G'town students. Similarly waiting for a Metro train in leaving a girl in a Georgetown shirt said to her friend "let's just punch everyone in orange ahead of us." Great stuff.
- Thanks to everyone we met this past weekend, especially all the orange Twitterati in attendance. A lot of fun with you all.
- Kudos to this guy in the Georgetown student section rocking orange. You were doing God's work.