0 Comments Published on 1.17.2011 by Brian Harrison
See coach, I told you I could play a little bit.
The Orange were taking on a fairly tough Big East team in Cincinnati. The problem was that Cincinnati was significantly overrated coming into the game having played no one and only lost one game to Villanova. It shook out just like I predicted.
Syracuse started the game on a 9-0 run, earning points in the paint and using tough defense. Then Cincinnati basically went off shooting 3 balls. Syracuse led at the half 35 to 31. Then Syracuse went off and Cincy came out ice cold. The 'Cuse rode a 16-0 run to start the half to a big lead. While Cincinnati would go on small runs, they never got the game close again. Syracuse ended up winning a nice game in the league 67 to 52. More thoughts.
- Your leading scorer was Rick Jackson with 15 points, who also led with 11 rebounds and yet another double-double. That was his 11th double-double of the season.
- Kris Joseph went down halfway through the first half and hit his head pretty hard on the court. He did not return. He finished with 2 points.
- Both Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche had 11 points a piece. They continue to shoot the ball pretty well, but Triche had stretches where he had trouble handling the ball.
- Fab Melo had a career six points on some nice buckets in the second half.
- Dion Waiters and James "Southie" Southerland came in off the bench and added eight points a piece. Southerland was 2-2 from behind the arc and 3-4 in the game.
- Syracuse led in scoring with 56.3%. They held Cincinnati to 30.5% from the floor and 39.3% (11-28) from long range. Syracuse was 6-14 (42.9%) from behind the arc.
- Syracuse continues their free throw shooting woes with 7-13 on the day.
- Syracuse crushed on the boards 35 to 25.
- Syracuse had ten blocks to Cincinnati's zero. Both teams had five steals.
- Unfortunately Syracuse had 13 turnovers to Cincy's five. Jackson and Jardine each had 5.
- Syracuse takes on Pittsburgh tonight at 7:30. Preview out next.